Who can resist the smell of Auntie Anne’s pretzels at the mall? Someone without an extra five bucks to spare, that’s who. Take us for example…we’d rather whip up some soft pretzels right at home, which is exactly what we’ll show you how to right now with a recipe from Fifteen Spatulas:
- 12.5 oz all purpose flour (2.5 cups)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2.25 tsp instant quick rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- Combine all the dough ingredients in the bowl and mix/knead for 5 minutes. The dough should feel soft and smooth, not sticky to the touch.
- Lightly dust the dough with flour, then place in a ziploc bag and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F, and lightly grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- Remove the dough from the bag and place onto a lightly oiled countertop. Divide the dough into 8 pieces (just cut it with a knife).
- Whisk to combine the warm water and baking soda and cook in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Roll each of the eight pieces into a long rope, and shape each one into a pretzel.
- Dip each pretzel into the soda wash and place onto the greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, then let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes until the pretzels are golden brown. Brush the pretzels with the melted butter while they are hot out of the oven. You can also sprinkle on some cinnamon-sugar mix.
- Enjoy while they are hot!